Saturday 31 October 2009

Mutton Pepper Fry


My husband is a great fan of mutton dishes. This is one of his all time favourite. When we were in India, this was usually prepared on sundays. I learnt this from my MIL. I prepared this for
my brother when he visited us, from that time onwards he also started craving for it. Last week my sister-in-law asked me for this recipe. So thought of preparing & posting it.

Mutton Pepper Fry (Sukka Varuval)

Ingredients:
Mutton (Boneless): 750gms
Turmeric powder: 1/4tsp
Ginger paste: 1tsp
Cloves: 2
Cinnamon: 1/4" piece
Onion: 1 small
Cumin powder/Jeera powder: 1tsp
Black pepper powder: 11/2tsp
Curry leaves: 8-10
Oil: 3tsp
Salt

Method:
Clean, cut the mutton into small bite size pieces. In a bowl (stainless steel utensil that will fit inside the pressure cooker), add turmeric powder & ginger paste to the mutton. Mix well. In a pressure cooker, add water till 1/4th mark, place the bowl inside and cook for 5 to 6 whistles. As the mutton cooks, it produces water which can be drained off or can be used for preparing a delicious mutton soup as I do.
Add jeera powder, black pepper powder & salt to the mutton pieces mix well.
Heat oil in a pan, add clove, cinnamon & finely chopped onion. Saute' till the onion becomes golden brown, then add the curry leaves.
Add the mutton pieces, fry for sometime.
Serve hot with steamed rice & mutton kurma .

2 comments:

Sarah Naveen said...

That mutton fry looks so yummy!!!

Kanimozhi said...

Thank you very much.