Saturday 10 October 2009

Urad Dal Sweet Dish


This sweet is definitely one of my favorites. I used to pester my amma (mother) to prepare this one whenever I felt like eating something sweet. My dad & my brother are not great fans of sweets, so it was my mom and I who used to enjoy this delicacy till the last bit. Last week, I suddenly thought about this dish & the “sweet” coincidence is that I had soaked urad dal for idli. No brainer! scooped out a small portion to prepare it right away. The recipe follows...


Urad Dal Sweet Dish

Ingredients:
Urad dal: 1/2cup
Milk/Coconut milk: 21/2cups
Sugar: 1cup
Oil:  for deep frying
Cardamom powder: 1/4tsp

Method:
Soak urad dal in water for 2 hours.
Grind it to a smooth dough (it should be idli dough consistency).
Dissolve sugar in milk & boil for a few minutes & simmer (Keep it in sim till you soak all the urad dal balls).
Wet your hands, take a small amount of the dough & drop it in hot oil (alternatively spoon can also be used).  
Fry the urad dal balls in oil & soak them in  hot milk.
Add cardamam powder & switch off the stove.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Recipe is simple and easy to do.We tried and found it to be very tasty and sumptuos
Kabilan