Tuesday 6 October 2009

Mutton Kurma


In my in-laws place sunday was dedicated to non-veg & most often mutton kurma would be prepared. My husband is a great fan of this dish. He and my brother-in -law used to have a major role  in
finishing the dish. I had forgotten to cook this dish, because my hubby did not like the taste of the mutton which we get here. We had been to Indian stores & were tempted to buy mutton. So he
asked me to prepare mutton kurma. I called my elder co-sister  to refresh my memory. Got the recipe & prepared it. It tasted very good. My MIL adds radish and it tastes even better, so I too added them.


Mutton Kurma

Ingredients:
Mutton : 1kg
Radish : 1 small
Onion : 2 medium size
Tomato: 2 medium size
Garlic paste: 2tsp
Ginger paste: 3tsp
Red chilli powder: 2tsp
Coriander powder: 4tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
Poppy seeds: 1tbsp
Grated Coconut : 3tbsp
Fennel seeds: 2tsp
Clove: 3
Cinnamon: 1inch
Bay leaf: 1
Oil: 3tbsp
Salt

Method:
Clean, cut mutton into medium size pieces.
Clean, peel & cut the radish into slices.
Finely chop onion & tomato.
Pressure cook mutton with 1/4tsp turmeric powder, salt, 1tsp ginger paste & water.
Remove the mutton pieces after it is cooked (I usually discard the stock).
In the pan heat oil add the clove, cinnamon & bay leaf.
Add the finely chopped onion & saute till it turns golden brown in colour. Add the radish slices, then add garlic paste, the remaining ginger paste.
Saute' for 2-3 minutes. Then add the chopped tomato & saute' for 2-3 minutes.
Add the cooked mutton pieces add the red chilli powder, coriander powder & 1/4tsp turmeric powder. Saute' for 5 minutes.
Now add about 2 -3 cups of water & cook for 15-20 minutes. Grind grated coconut, fennel seeds & poppy seeds (soak poppy seeds in hot water, makes it easy to grind) together.
Add this ground paste to the mutton stock & cook for 5 more minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with steamed rice.

No comments: