Saturday 3 October 2009

Cashew Aval Payasam


My son like sweets a lot. I wanted to prepare with flattened rice ( I got 2 packs from the indian stores & it was there for a long time). I wanted to post it,so changed the usual aval payasam a bit. It was awesome. My son had a bowlful. I prepared the same sweet for Saraswathi Puja.

Cashew aval payasam

Ingredients:
Aval/Flattened rice: 1/2 cup
Cashew: 10-12
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Milk: 2 cups
Ghee: 2tbsp
Cardamom powder: 1/4tsp
Raisins: 10-12

Method:
Wash & Soak aval in water for 10 minutes. Drain out the excess water.
Soak the cashews in milk.
Heat 11/2tbsp ghee in a pan & Saute' aval in the ghee for few minutes.
Grind cashew & aval with a little milk to a coarse paste.
Boil milk & add the ground paste & cook till the milk reduces to half  it's quantity. Stir continously to prevent sticking to the pan.
Add sugar & cardamom powder and continue stirring. Switch off the stove.
Garnish with cashew & raisins roasted in remaining ghee.

1 comment:

Kanimozhi said...

Hi Kani
Nice recipe
Ashok