Monday 14 December 2009

Fish Puff


The food that I had at the Diwali party was awesome. It was catered by an Indian restaurant here in Haverfordwest. Fish puff was on the starter's menu and it was very yummy...It was definitely on my favorites' list for the day. Thought I should try it out some day! During a casual surfing session, I stumbled upon Ushanandini's food blog on curry puff recipe. It was exactly what I wanted to prepare, I immediately started working on the dish. When it came to deep frying the puffs, I realized that I was low on oil, so had to bake it instead. To my surprise, the puffs turned out really great. You can either deep fry or bake it; the choice is yours!



Fish Puffs

Ingredients:
For Wrapping:
Plain flour: 2 cups
Margarine: 2tsp
Water: as per requirement
Salt

For Stuffing:
Fish fillet (Salmon): 350gms
Potato: 1 large
Onion: 1 medium
Coriander leaves: 2tbsp
Red chilli powder: 1tsp
Garlic paste: 1tsp
Chat masala: 1/4tsp
Salt
Oil: 1tbsp

Method:
Outer covering preparation:
Add the margarine to the flour & rub in well. Then add salt. Mix well. Add water & knead to pliable dough. Keep aside for half an hour ( I left it for nearly 1-11/2hour).

Stuffing preparation:
Steam cook the fish. Mash it. Boil & mash the potato.
Heat oil in the pan add the finely chopped onion, saute' for sometime then add garlic paste, red chilli powder & salt. Saute' for sometime.
Sprinkle chat masala & finely chopped coriander leaves.Transfer it to a bowl along with fish &amp  potato. Mix everything together.




Take a lemon size dough & roll out into puris.
Grease the mould with oil.

Place the puri on the mould & place the stuffing on one half of the puri. Fold the mould & remove the excess dough.


 Arrange these prepared puffs on a greased foil. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius & bake for 18-20 minutes.


 Keep a close watch on the puffs while baking. Once they turn golden brown remove it from the oven.
Serve hot with sauce of your choice.

No comments: